Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Text me in the morning

As a person with Type 1 diabetes, I'm always happy when some new gadget comes along to help control blood sugars and make life a little easier.

So, it's doubly refreshing when someone finds a new way to use the existing technology... like the cell phone.

Dr. Jennifer Dyer, an endocrinologist at Nationwide Children's Hospital, has taken to texting her teenage patients, and they've responded by taking better care of themselves. Texting patients reduced the number of times they forgot to give themselves insulin during a meal from 9 a week to 3.

Texting is a much better way of communicating with doctors than I've experienced: faxing blood sugar sheets back and forth. Bravo, Dr. Dyer. I hope your extended study goes well. And I hope that more endocrinologists realize that standing at a FedEx Kinkos' fax machine is not how any diabetic wants to spend her afternoon.

Here's an interview with Dr. Dyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment